Sunday, September 25, 2016

Banned Books Week 2016

Today is the start of Banned Books Week for 2016, and as I've written in 2014 and 2015, it is a week and a topic that is near and dear to my heart. This year's topic, which is spotlighting diversity, is especially timely and relevant. Research indicates that minority authors are often victims of having their books banned or challenged. Additionally, the books that are most likely to be banned are books that focus on some type of diversity. Although this isn't surprising, it is disheartening, since recent events as well as many of the close-minded sentiments that are said in this country and in the world illustrate the importance of reading books from diverse perspectives and about people who are different from us. While I wish that this focus wasn't needed, I'm thrilled that this year's Banned Books Week emphasizes it, and I hope that it helps continue the dialogue about diversity in books.
Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association

On a happier note, something else I'm excited about this year is partnering with my college library to plan some events. We're starting off small this year, but I'm hoping that we'll be able to do something bigger in the future. To celebrate Banned Books Week 2016, here are a few things that we are doing on campus (please feel free to use these):
  • Besides the usual display and raffle that the library does, we're doing a banned books week read-in. At this event, students are invited to bring in a short excerpt from their favorite banned or challenged book to share with the audience. There will also be some door prizes as well as a trivia contest.
  • In addition to this, I'm also working on a banned/challenged book display for the young adult library that I have in my department. I'll share some pictures on Twitter (and maybe here).
  • In preparation for Banned Books Week, I used some banned book trivia to model for students some possible in-class activities they can use.
If you are looking for resources to support your Banned Books Week activities, here are some places to get you started:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment